Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lecture anglaise : The Galactic Mage par/by John Daulton (updated)

Bilingual post, French first, then English.

Billet Bilingue, Français d'abord, Anglais ensuite.

Participation au Défi lire en anglais : I read in english. 

The Galactic Mage par/by John Daulton


English

I received this book as a gift from the author, as it was difficult to obtain through legal and non Amazon channels.



For a change, I won't present the story this time, but invite you to check out the video trailer here under instead...



The story is set up in the classical technique with distinct and separate point of views (Altin's and Orli's) which finally converge at the end in one single story.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Altin's part, with it's baroque careless magic, which reminded me some of Jack Vance's "The Eyes of the Overworld", Orli's part held much less appeal to me, until their reunion. Not that her personality wasn't interesting, or the writing style that different, but the ship's dynamics didn't feel as good as what I usually read in my many Military SF reads.

It may have been an intended stylistic effect by the author, to contrast the technological part of the story with the magical one, but the spaceship's austerity really held me back. While I didn't skip those passages, as I sometimes do, I must say that I was eager to go back to Altin.

Update: after mail discussion with the author, he confirmed the he indeed had intended for Orli's POV to be depressing and overall unhappy, which I think explains why I didn't enjoy them that much. It won't change my note though, since it was based on my feelings when reading.

Oh yes, the magical side, the intriguing Curse of Six, the quiet background, hidden by the rainbow of magical effects and magical theory... That was what held my attention...

A clear 4.5 stars for the magical side, 3.5 for the technological one, for final solid 4 stars.

I must say that I'll wait eagerly for the follow-ups...

Français


C'est l'auteur qui m'a offert ce livre, inaccessible légalement en France en dehors d'Amazon. 



Pour une fois je ne vais pas faire le "pitch" de l'histoire, mais vous inviter à regarder le trailer. (en anglais, j'espère que vous suivrez ;) ).



L'histoire est présentée en suivant la technique classique de points de vues distincts et séparés (celui d'Altin et celui d'Orli), qui finissent par converger.

Alors que j'ai bien apprécié la partie consacrée à Altin, avec sa magie un peu baroque et presque décadente, un peu dans les tons du Cugel l'astucieux de Jack Vance, la partie d'Orli m'a bien moins attirée. Non pas que sa personnalité soit attirante, ou le style d'écriture différent, mais les dynamiques au niveau de la vie à l'intérieur des vaisseaux m'a semblée peut-etre trop superficielle, en tout cas comparée à mes lectures de Military SF habituelles.

C'était peut-être d'ailleurs un effet stylistique voulu et décidé par l'auteur, afin de contraster un aspect technologique aseptisé, mais cette austérité m'a un peu rebutté? Bien que je ne sois pas allé jusqu'à sauter des passages, je dois bien avouer que j'étais souvent préssé de retourner retrouver Altin.

Update: after mail discussion with the author, he confirmed the he indeed had intended for Orli's POV to be depressing and overall unhappy, which I think explains why I didn't enjoy them that much. It won't change my note though, since it was based on my feelings when reading.

Oh oui, le coté magique, cette Malédiction des Six, ce background discret, masqué par un arc-en-ciel d'effets magiques et leur théorie. C'est plus ça qui a attiré mon attention.

Quatre étoiles et demi, largement, pour l'aspet magique, trois et demi pour le coté technologique, qui donnent au final quatre étoiles bien frappées.

J'avoue, je suis pressé de lire la suite.


No comments:

Post a Comment